Monday, July 22, 2013

Fresh Strawberry Pie


Just ate some of this pie tonight.  My brother and sister-in-law are staying with us, so of course I get to host and impress.  This Strawberry Pie was perfect for the occasion of a Monday night, "sit around the table" and catch up, laugh and converse with each other. What makes this pie different than any other pie you have ever tasted?

{its fresh}


I am not a huge pie crust maker.  There are other people who do just as good of a job (thank you Marie Calendar's Pie Crusts).  It's only about $3 for TWO crusts-totally worth my time to not make crust.  The secret to this amazing pie is not in the crust...

The fruit filling is divinely delicious.  You cannot have good fruit pie if you use fruit filling from a box or a can.  

DON'T EVER DO IT!!  
Especially not once I give you the yummiest fruit filling recipe there is.


The Pie

Pie crust
2 pounds strawberries
Fruit pie filling (see below)
Whip cream

Bake your pie crust and cool completely.  Cook your fruit pie filling and cool completely.  Wash, cut and dry 2 pounds of strawberries (halves work best).  Layer strawberries at the bottom of the pie crust. Pour 1/4 of the fruit pie filling over the first layer.  Layer with more strawberries.  Pour half of the remaining fruit filling over the pie.  Place the remaining strawberries on the pie and cover the entire pie with the remaining fruit filling.  Refrigerate until ready to serve.  Before serving, cut slices and top with whip cream.



Fruit Pie Filling

1/4 cup water
1 cup sugar
1 cup mashed {straw}berries (I puree mine in a blender or food processor)
3 Tablespoons cornstarch
3 teaspoons lemon juice

Cook in a medium saucepan on medium heat-stirring constantly-until thick. Wait until cool to pour over fruit pie. 


There are many {best} parts about this pie, but do you want to know one of the best parts of this pie-you can make this with any of your favorite fruits.

My 2 favorites are {strawberries and peaches}.

I think I am going to go help myself to some more of this decadently, scrumptious, fresh fruit pie.  Mmmmm.....








2 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I make a similar pie with peaches but strawberries? YUM!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The peach pie is divine too! I hope you like the strawberry pie!

      Delete